The man saving Mumbai water one tap at a time

On a Sunday morning, an 80-year-old man arrives at the topmost floor of an apartment complex in Mumbai's Mira Road district.
Over the next four hours, Aabid Surti, national-award winning author of 80 books, cartoonist and artist, rings the doorbells of all 56 apartments in the complex, asking a simple question of the residents: "Do you have a leaking tap in your home?"
Mr Surti is accompanied by a plumber and a volunteer.
"Sorry to disturb you," he apologises to those who say no.
The plumber gets to work, plugging leaks in the homes of those who answer in the affirmative.
"I was always troubled by leaking taps," Mr Surti tells the BBC

This is the fifth article in a BBC series Unsung Indians, profiling people who are working to improve the lives of others.
More from the series:

"Whenever I would visit a friend or a relative's home, I could always hear any drop or leak, and I would ask them to repair it."
Mr Surti says he grew up on the pavements of Mumbai where, as a child, he saw his mother queuing up at 4am for a bucket of water.
"I saw people fight for each drop. This childhood memory keeps haunting me whenever I see a dripping tap.

No comments: